Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pot Pourri

Greetings to one and all. It seems like September was a long time ago, when we all gathered at Fairview. It was a great time we had wasn't it?

I came across an interesting idea in a little book that Mae shared with us, called New Mexico Fibre Arts Trails, and I felt it was something to share with all of you. "Many weavers say they start out with one idea, but the design takes off on its own. It's a collaboration between the weaver and the design. The design is a gift. It is visualized not drawn. As you go along, it develops in a cycle of moving forward with life." (written by Yin-May Lee ofthe Ramah Navajo Weaver's Association).
Since I have some difficulty with ever following a pattern, plan, or recipe, I was glad to hear someone from another group of fibre artists also often goes the "creation" route. I know some of you can also relate to this concept.

How is Theo Moorman going? I have been working on a warp at our club studio, but it seems to take forever to get done. (Too long a warp, perhaps.) It is a practice piece, full of all kinds of weird shapes just to see how they turn out. I have particular trouble making smooth round balls, and as for letters - forget them! However, I did manage to make a tolerably acceptable scene of spruce trees and clouds. If I do another T. M. piece, it will be small, like Christmas cards.

At the Fairview conference, I think I heard someone mutter something about a recipe in this column, but am not sure whether it was for or against. Since I came across a heavenly cake recipe recently, I'm going to assume the mutter was 'for'. This recipe was given to me by one of our local church ladies. It is simple (even I can follow it) and delicious. The ingredients are:
1 white Angel food cake mix
1 14 oz. can of crushed pineapple
Set oven at 350 and select a 9 x 13 pan, ungreased. Mix the cake mix and the crushed pineapple (juice included) until they are well mixed. Pour the batter into the cake pan, and put it in the oven immediately. Bake for about 30 mins.

As to the conference at Lake Saskatoon.... I hope you have in mind the recycling ideas we have suggested, and bring your favorite ones to share, as well as a grocery bag to exchange. The latter can be made of any used fibre, must be strong, and approximately 12 x 14 x 7.

Christmas greeting to you all.
Sincerely Joan Yates

No comments:

Post a Comment